Arlene Burns, Mayor
“Small enough to Make a Difference”
- Mayor of Mosier (Since 2014)
- Mosier Council President (2012-14)
- Governor appointed Co-Convener of Oregon Electric Vehicle Collaborative (since Jan 2019)
- Member of Climate Mayors
- Member of Safe Energy Leadership Alliance
- Lecturer withUniversity of Portland Environmental Justice Immersion
- Representative on Travel Oregon’s Gorge Tourism Studio Steering Committee
- Member of The Columbia Gorge Tourism Alliance
- Ford Family Foundation Leadership Training
- Climate Reality Training with Al Gore
A geologist by education, after university I was driven by a curiosity to explore the world and share pristine experiences with others – first as an instructor and river guide, then as a photojournalist, public speaker and filmmaker. I believe in the power of stories to shape our future.
- BS in Geology from University of South Carolina, Columbia
- World class expedition kayaker, guide and trip leader in New Zealand, Nepal, Tibet, Siberia, Central Asia, Chile and Argentina; Medalist of US Women’s Whitewater team for competitions in Siberia, North Carolina and Costa Rica; Based in Kathmandu, Nepal for a decade; Meryl Streep’s role model, coach and sometimes stunt double in Universal Studio’s The River Wild
- Outdoor industry consultant for National Geographic, Timberland, MontBell, Perception, Malden Mills (Polartec International Board of Advisors), Patagonia (Catalog photographer and essay writer)
- Public Speaker for Baylor Walkabout, Extreme Connection, Wilderness Medical Conferences, executive retreats, film festivals and workshops
- Photojournalist published in outdoor magazines, catalogs and books
- Trip leader/guide for Project RAFT (Russians and Americans for Teamwork)
- Producer/Director/Host for films in Japan, Central Asia, Costa Rica, and North America, including Survival of the Fittest (ESPN); the Gorge Games (NBC); X games (ESPN); Trailside; Anyplace Wild (PBS); Sport Northwest, Action Sports Cable Network; Sea Studio Foundation‘s “Otter 501”.
- Film Festival Director / Board Member / Judge for various organizations including Mountainfilm in Telluride; Blue Ocean Film Festival, Monterey, CA; Jackson Wild; International Wildlife Film Festival; Seawatch, and UNDP World Wildlife Day Film Showcase
- In development: Doc on Sardine Fisheries in Sea of Cortez.